5 Ways to Hydrate this Winter November 15 2015
Winter is approaching, and with that comes excess dryness and battling cracked, irritated skin. We move from heated rooms to the cold outdoor climate, and that sucks out a lot of moisture from our bodies. Our holistic aesthetician Cassandra suggests trying these 5 tips to maintain ample moisture levels throughout our cold and dry Canadian winter:
- Exfoliate your skin! This will help slough away all of the dead dry skin cells sitting on the top surface of the skin. In turn it will allow all your other skincare products to work more effectively and penetrate deeper. Exfoliating every 3 days aids in maintaining a soft, supple texture and healthy glow to the skin. View our Regenerating + Stimulating Exfoliator here.
- Internal hydration is equally important as external hydration. We recommend researching which option is best for your body. Omega-3 fatty acids have a wide range of health benefits, including softening dry skin. When our vital organs are well hydrated, they work more efficiently + relieve our skin from the taxing work of expelling toxins. In a perfect world, our skin - the largest organ - would not be expelling any toxins, and skin would be clear! Check out our previous post on Healthy Fats + Your Skin to learn more about how to hydrate from the inside out.
- Layering is key! Use a face serum on clean skin, followed by a lotion or balm to maximize hydration and lock in moisture. This creates a protective layer against the outdoor elements. We always apply our Protecting + Restoring Face Balm before heading outdoors; it truly does what it says, protects and restores our skin back to radiance.
- Massage your skin care products into your skin. Not only is this a great stress reliever, but it's an ample way to increase circulation within the body. Colder weather can constrict blood cells so its important to keep things flowing by massaging the skin regularly. Proper blood flow rejuvenates, detoxifies and oxygenates the cells, which is essential for anti-aging. This will stimulate collagen and elastin fibres. Massage your cleanser into the skin for a minute or two before rinsing off. Massage your face serum and/or moisturizer into the skin for 3-5 minutes to acheive optimal results. View our Ultra Hydrating Skin Kit here.
- Use a humidifier in your home + work space. When it’s dry enough, the moisture on our top surface layer of skin will evaporate into the air. Adding humidity to your air will in turn infuse your skin with moisture - soothing dry cracked skin, healing sore acne blemishes, and calming irritated skin conditions.