Summer Fruit Muesli Bowl Recipe August 06 2020
The dry combo of toasted oats, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits lasts for weeks in the cupboard and takes minutes to prepare. It's easy to adapt to any allergies or sensitivities, inexpensive and full of nutrients like minerals, fibre, and healthy fats to keep you feeling satisfied throughout the day. I like to make a big batch of the dry mix and prepare a single serving fresh each morning. This mix is also a great breakfast for when you’re on the go - take it camping or to the cottage for an easy and delicious meal in minutes! It is one of my favourite summer breakfasts because the rich, creamy cereal pairs perfectly with the ripe, juicy summer fruits and require zero cook time!
- 3 cups rolled oats*
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds**
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)**
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup raisins or currants or other dried fruit
*For extra flavour, try toasting the oats in a 350 oven until golden and fragrant, allow to cool and continue with the recipe
**Feel free to substitute with chopped nuts or slivered almonds.
Place all ingredients into a large glass jar or container, attach the lid and shake well until evenly distributed. If using a large bowl, stir the mixture and add it to a container of choice. Seal and store mixture in a cool dry place for up to 2 weeks.
To prepare the muesli bowl follow either instruction below! I prefer the pour and serve method but feel free to prepare this breakfast however you wish.
Pour and serve:
- When ready to serve, add 1/2 – 3/4 cup of muesli to your bowl, add enough milk (I use oat milk but use what you wish) and let it sit for about 5 minutes until the oats soften.
- Top with fresh fruit, yogurt and some sweetener like honey or maple syrup and enjoy!
- Feel free to add any additional toppings like hemp hearts, chia seeds, cacao nibs or cinnamon. Top with a bit of extra milk if needed.
My favourite combos:
- Peaches, cherries and bee pollen
- Grated apple, cinnamon and hemp hearts
- Strawberries, blueberries and cacao nibs
- Add about 3/4 cup muesli to a mason jar or bowl
- Top with fruits of choice if you like, and cover with milk.
- Seal and keep in the refrigerator overnight, or up to 3 days.
- Stir before you enjoy and add some sweetener or extra milk if needed.
For more healthy eating tips + recipes, follow our Holistic Nutritionist, Fran Allen @hello.franallen.